THPRD to collect food, toys for Beaverton families in need
Drop In and Help Out Our Neighbors, a holiday food and toy drive organized each year by the Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District, is set for Nov. 23 through Dec. 13.
During that period, new, unwrapped toys and non-perishable food items will be accepted at most THPRD centers. All donated items will go to Sunshine Pantry for distribution to people requesting help.
“Many of our neighbors continue to struggle in these economic times,” said THPRD General Manager Doug Menke. “We invite our patrons to join together with our staff and Sunshine Pantry to help provide those in need with a happier holiday.”
During the first three days of the collection, Nov. 23-25, THPRD will waive drop-in fees for any patron who donates a new, unwrapped toy (no stuffed animals, please) or at least two non-perishable food items.
The waiver is good at all THPRD recreation and aquatic centers with drop-in programs except the Tualatin Hills Tennis Center. Admission will be on a first-come, first-served basis for drop-in programs, including open/family swims, lap swims, open gyms, drop-in sports and fitness rooms.
To boost collections and foster holiday spirit, participating THPRD facilities will engage in friendly in-house competition. Each site will decorate a food and toy barrel, and the one with the most popular design – as decided by public voting – will win. Patrons can vote from Nov. 30 through Dec. 16.
Food and toys will be accepted at the following Park District locations:
- Aloha Swim Center: 18650 SW Kinnaman Road, Aloha
- Beaverton Swim Center: 12850 SW Third Street, Beaverton
- Cedar Hills Recreation Center: 11640 SW Park Way, Portland
- Conestoga Recreation & Aquatic Center: 9995 SW 125th Avenue, Beaverton
- Elsie Stuhr Center: 5550 SW Hall Blvd, Beaverton
- Garden Home Recreation Center: 7475 SW Oleson Road, Portland
- Harman Swim Center: 7300 SW Scholls Ferry Road, Beaverton
- Sunset Swim Center: 13707 NW Science Park Drive, Portland
- Tualatin Hills Aquatic Center: 15707 SW Walker Road, Beaverton
- Tualatin Hills Athletic Center: 50 NW 158th Avenue, Beaverton
- Tualatin Hills Nature Park Interpretive Center (no drop-in programs): 15655 SW Millikan Way, Beaverton
- Tualatin Hills Tennis Center: 15707 SW Walker Road, Beaverton
- THPRD Administration Office (no drop-in programs): 15707 SW Walker Road, Beaverton
Formed in 1955, THPRD is the largest special park district in Oregon, spanning about 50 square miles and serving more than 220,000 residents in the greater Beaverton area. The district provides year-round recreational opportunities for people of all ages and abilities. Offerings include thousands of widely diverse classes, 90 park sites with active recreational amenities, 60 miles of trails, eight swim centers, six recreation centers, and 1,400 acres of natural areas. For more information, visit www.thprd.org or call 503/645-6433.
# # #
Director – Communications
|Date: November 14, 2012
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Click here for official release (PDF).