8005 SW Grabhorn Rd.
Beaverton, OR 97007-8781
Belle and Ralph Jenkins purchased the 68-acre property and began designing their home on the Jenkins Estate in 1912. Belle was the youngest daughter of Captain J.C. Ainsworth and Ralph was a railroad station agent. They both loved horses and found city life confining so the property was built to include a beautiful, three-floor stable and covered riding arena. Other amenities included splendid English-style gardens, a greenhouse for plant cultivation, an ornamental pool, a tea house for relaxation, a carriage house and a water tower. >>Complete history
Today, the Jenkins Estate is used for corporate, community and private events.
8405 SW Creekside Place, Beaverton, Oregon 97005
503/645-6433 for inquiries, 503/643-2912 on-site during events
Augustus Fanno was born in Maine on March 26, 1804. After living in Missouri as a young adult, he, his wife Martha and their young son left for Oregon in 1846. Augustus settled in Linn City while he looked for land on which to settle. His wife died in childbirth shortly after arriving in Oregon. He and his son followed the Tualatin Plains Indian Trail, which ran from Willamette Falls to Tillamook, and they settled a claim 12 miles northwest of Oregon City. His was the 12th claim documented by the territorial recorder at the Oregon City Land Office and the first to be filed in what is now Washington County. The original land claim grant of 640 acres was signed by President Abraham Lincoln in November of 1864.
At the age of 47, Augustus Fanno married Rebecca Denney. The first of their six children was born later that year. In 1859, Fanno designed and constructed a fashionable, rural-style home for their growing family. The farm house is an Oregon adaptation of a New England style (classical revival detail) which was fashionable at the time. The Fanno family pioneered the cultivation of onions in Oregon and by the 1890s, the Fanno Farm gained a local and regional reputation for producing large, fine-textured, succulent onions. Descendants farmed onions until the 1940s when onion maggots forced them to quit. The house was occupied by the Fanno Family until 1974. Eighty-three acres were sold to an industrial development firm in 1979. In March 1982, the house plus 14 acres were donated to THPRD. Today, the Fanno Farmhouse can be rented for small corporate, community and private events.
15707 SW Walker Road, Beaverton, Oregon 97006
Maintenance Operations: 503/629-6360
Heinrick Schlottmann emigrated from Germany to Oregon and settled his homestead on 97 acres. Heinrick and his family lived in a log house until construction of the frame house in 1906. A carpenter by trade, Heinrick built the house, including all interior woodwork and cabinetry in a 20th century American foursquare syle. Lumber used in construction was purchased from the Mountaindale Sawmill.
It took five years to complete construction of the house. Oats, wheat and hay were grown on the farm, and dairy cattle were raised. The Schlottmann family owned and operated a mercantile store for many years located near the Elmonica Station (Oregon Electric Railroad). The station and the store, now removed, were located within yards of the existing rail crossing on Baseline Road.
Heinrick's son, Emil, was born in 1890 and lived on the property for 92 years until his death in 1982. He and his wife, Emma, were married in 1945 and she lived on the farm for 42 years. They discontinued dairy farming after 1958. While Emil was still alive, the Schlottmanns sold 70 acres to the Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District in the late 1970s.
In 1988, the Park District acquired the Schlottmann main house, bunk house and garage. Cornell Oaks Corporate Center owned the 27 acres of the original Schlottmann homestead. Washington County's Department of Land Use and Transportation decided that for development to take place on the site, the three buildings would need to be preserved on or off the site. In 1992, the 27 acres owned by Cornell Oaks were sold to the Park District. Today, the house and bunk house are used by THPRD Maintenance and Security Operations employees as office space.
John Quincy Adams Young House
Intersection of Cornell and 119th, Portland, Oregon
The salt box-style house was built in Cedar Mill by Oregon pioneer John Quincy Adams Young in 1869. The house became Cedar Mill's first post office and general store. As years went by, the house changed ownership several times. In 2005, THPRD acquired the house and a half-acre of land on which the house sits in a property exhange agreement with Cedar Mill Bible Church. In March 2006, THPRD's Board of Directors adopted a management plan for the house. On Dec. 31, 2008, JQAY House was officially placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Future plans call for fundraising programs to help renovate the house.
This page was last updated on Tuesday March 11 2014 at 8:41 AM.